Christmas shopping trends and tips for businesses according to PinterestBY Australian Retailers Association
Pinners around the world wait for months with excitement for the beginning of the holiday season (searches for holiday start as early June on Pinterest), and millions turn to Pinterest for gift giving (and receiving!) inspiration.
Pinterest has compiled the top picks based on what Pinterest shoppers are searching, saving, and buying for everyone from the wellness aficionado to the sustainability adopters in your life, to give you a head start.
With searches for personalised gift ideas increasing by +72%, sustainable gifts, travel kits, and self-care package gift ideas are likely to jingle a few bells this holiday season.
In addition, Pinners are looking for ways to add a manual touch to gifts this year. One of the main ideas that people are searching for is “snail mail gifts” (346%), to bring back the magic of the ordinary postal service. Because nothing will ever replace the surprise of receiving a package, right?). Wrapping is also part of this process, and searches for how-to “gift wrap videos” are up 80%.
Whether it is for a family member (dad Christmas gift ideas +644%), someone in your office (coworker Christmas gift ideas +244%), a friend (Christmas gifts for best friends +199%) or even your teacher (teacher Christmas gift ideas +1890%), Pinterest has you covered.
Need some inspiration? Check out the 2019 Holiday Gift Guide to see this year’s top trending ideas for all the different people in your life.
Stocking stuffers for the sustainability adopter
Sustainability is no longer just a trend and is becoming a must-have throughout the year. What better time of year to support mission-driven companies and products than when you can spread the love to others (searches for sustainable gifts increased by 118%)? From green projects to small social companies (and not forgetting those gifts for plants lovers (+50%), check out these ideas:
- Reusable straws (Seed and Sprout, $24)
- Golden wattle gift of seeds (Hard to Find, $9.95)
- Bamboo clothes pegs (Biome, $6.95)
- Beeswax food wraps (Throw Some Seeds, $24.99)
- Kefir maker kit (Nourish Me Organics, $99.99)
- Keep cup brew glass coffee cup set (Reusables etc., $32)
- Eco-friendly wood watch (We Wood, $119)
- The sustainable kitchen box (Zoetica, $79)
- Sustainable sneakers (NET-A-PORTER, $226)
Delicious treats for the food lover
Find the perfect gift for the foodie-est of friends, from the hot sauce to hot chocolate aficionado. While we all love food, everyone knows that one person with a particular interest in gourmet food. Impressing these folks is not easy, but there is life beyond prepackaged baskets of gourmet food. Need some ideas?
- Mortar and pestle (west elm, $48)
- Sweet epicure hamper (Cocobean, $185.95)
- Bottle grinder (Living By Design., $119.99)
- Glass jug (Ikea, $4.99)
- Craft beer set (Hard to Find, $76)
- Espresso choc macadamias (I Still Call Australia Home, $16.95)
- Vintage merlot salt (Hard to Find, $32.99)
- Short black (Bindle, $85)
Timeless treasures for the traveler
Traveling is, for many, more than a hobby -- it's a lifestyle! And, although they tend to prefer experiences over things, this does not mean that they do not need some items that are essential to organise (or enjoy) a trip in the most relaxed way possible. Searches for travel kit gifts increased by 41%, and whether it is for a solo trip, a getaway to the beach, or an outdoor adventure in the mountains, Pinterest is full of gift ideas to pamper your most beloved traveler.
- Cashmere bamboo travel wrap (The Iconic, $109.95)
- Travel case (The Daily Edited, $120)
- Travel wallet (The Iconic, $34.99)
- Travel scratch map (Map World, $39.95)
- Travel pillow and mask (Target, $11.25)
- Luggage scale (Bagworld, $29)
- Eatwith experience dinner (Eat With, $348)
Feel-good goodies for the wellness aficionado
Words like mindfulness, clean eating, or detox sneak into the gift list this year and are already part of the vocabulary for the health-conscious crowd. Do you have to give a gift to one of them? Then, ideas for wellness gifts (+ 41%) is what you need. Need some inspiration?
- Grounded yoga mat (Mukti Mats, $94.95)
- Aroma diffuser and LED (Earth and Soul, $65)
- Water filter (Juno Mojo, $79.95)
- Therapy shower filter head (Nourished Life, $139)
- Body scrub and soak (Butt Naked Body, $18.95)
- Fitbit Smartwatch (The Iconic, $319.95)
- Scented soy candle (Palm Beach Collection, $39.95)
Thoughtful delights for the artsy ones
How to be creative while thinking of a gift idea, if this is for the most creative person you know? Don’t despair! Even the most demanding minds can be surprised. Mix design with a little art and originality, and you will have the perfect gift. And if you need some ideas, check out these eye-catching ones below:
- Faceted vase (west elm, $36.95)
- Native garden wall decal (Ginger Monkey, $210)
- Talia magazine basket (Freedom, $38.40)
- Giacomo bath mat (Spence and Lyda, $150)
- Macrame plant hanger kit (Hard to Find, $90)
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 camera (Target, $99)
- Aboriginal art cushion cover by Otto Sims (Bits of Australia, $69.95)
Fun and educational gifts for the mini-creatives
The tiniest of gift receivers might be the most discerning, so look to Pinterest trends for the latest in kid-friendly ideas; for example searches for indoor camping ideas for kids are up 58%, indoor tents up 89%, and kids climbing wall indoor up 31%.
- Hexactly puzzle (Kidz Inc., $59.99)
- Stacking rainbow flowers (Zanui, $32.36)
- Domino rally game (Knock on Wood Toys, $57)
- Thread art (Fishpond, $104)
- Clip circuit electro lab (The Play Room, $44.99)
- Dinosaur kit (Toys 2 Learn $29.95)
- Microscope lab kit (Mr Toys, $39.99)
- Washable kids paint (Target, $10)
- Kids teepee outdoor tent (All 4 Kids, $119.95)
- Japanese cooking set (Temple & Webster, $79)
- Hybrid pikler triangle (Little Big Learning $320)
- WeDo game toddler edition (Hard to Find, $39.95)
Beautiful stuff for the beauty buff
Perfumes or makeup sets are frequently among the beauty bestsellers since cosmetics are one of the most recurring elements to delight for holidays. But it is one of those that cause more joy to the one who receives them though.
- · Benefit Goof Proof brow pencil (Sephora, $43)
- · Bondi Boost Hair Growth value bundle (Bondi Boost, $149)
- · The Beauty Chef Glow inner beauty powder (Adore Beauty, $65)
- · GHD Platinum hair straightener (GHD, from $345)
- · Cacao tanning oil (Bali Body, $23.95)
- · Miracle hair treatment (ELEVEN Australia, $24.95)
- · BareMinerals Complexion Rescue (Mecca, $49)
Whether weekend warrior or someone who gets outside as much as possible, look no further for gifts for hikers and campers in your life.
- The North Face extra-large base camp duffel (Rushfaster, $219.95)
- Camelback popsicle (Camelbak, $109.99)
- DLX solar shower (Snowys Outdoors, $24.90)
- Thermos 1.2L king flask (Target, $49)
- Yeti wine tumbler (Yeti, $34.95)
- IceKool 45L icebox (Snowys Outdoors, $179)
- Adventure series cooking set (PurpleSpoilz, $89.95)
- Wacaco MiniPresso percolator (Alternative Brewing, $49.90)
- Bushman swag (Snowys Outdoors, $275)
Literary treasures for bookworms
Having a book lover in your life means that you’ve probably lost track of the last books they read or the entire collection they have at home. If you want to avoid giving them a duplicate one, or prefer to make their reading experience even better, check out the ideas below.
- Tote Bag: I'd rather be reading (Etsy, $12)
- Jane Austen wall art (Etsy, from $11.84)
- Leather Book Phone Case (I Can’t Believe They Make That, $72.99)
- Personalised bookmark (Etsy, from $29.38)
- “Delicious Days in Paris” (Booktopia, $25.95)
- “The Rosie Project” (Booktopia, $23.75)
Last but not least, for your best self
Sometimes, in addition to pampering your loved ones, the holiday is also the best time to treat yourself. Because in a nonstop cycle of shopping and social interactions during these weeks, it's also perfectly acceptable to take some time for you and preserve your well-being the way you like the most. Are you determined to do it but don't know where to start? You’re not the only one. Searches for self-care package gift ideas are up +134%! Check out some of the following ones:
- Stainless steel tea/coffee dripper (Alternative brewing, $169.95)
- Silk pillowcase and eye mask set (Homebodii, $89)
- Facial cleansing device (PMD Clean, $269)
- Essential oil diffuser (Milk & Love, $79)
- Wireless over-ear headphones (JBL, $199.95)
- Leather wellness planner (Kikki.K, $40)
- Porcelain latte cups (House, $24.99)
“Pinterest is the starting place for people making shopping decisions across the entire shopping journey, from the first moment of inspiration to the final purchase. And it is regardless of whether it is a gift for you or for a loved one. Tools such as visual search can help as a personal shopper of sorts, people in finding creative and unexpected gifts.
Visual recommendations are at work across Pinterest, you can view recommendations beneath any Pin for shoppable ideas, or you can use Lens camera in the search bar to; simply tap the camera in the Pinterest search bar, snap a photo of something you like and Pinterest will tell you what it is and where to find something like it. For brands, this means that it is time to get your campaigns ready for people looking for products like yours and help create a spike in sales,” Amy Vener, Global Head of Retail Strategy.
- Trends are calculated using normalised searches from July ‘18 to July ‘19
- Trends are calculated using normalised searches from Sept ‘18 to Sept ‘19
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Australian Retailers Association
Founded in 1903, the Australian Retailers Association (ARA) is Australia’s largest retail association representing Australia’s $310 billion sector, which employs more than 1.2 million people. As the retail industry’s peak representative body, the ARA works to ensure retail success by informing, protecting, advocating, educating and saving money for its 7,500 independent and national retail members throughout Australia. For more information, visit www.retail.org.au or call 1300 368 041.